Thu, 02 Aug 2007 13:45:00
Pogo says Marilyn Manson stole his cash
INSTEAD of paying his keyboard player, Marilyn Manson squandered his band’s earnings on “sick and disturbing purchases of Nazi memorabilia and taxidermy (including the skeleton of a young Chinese girl,)” a lawsuit being filed today in Los Angeles charges. Keyboard man Stephen “Pogo” Bier accuses the Goth rocker and his “musketeers” (his business manager, lawyer and the band’s manager) of assisting Manson “in filching millions of dollars the band made over the years.” According to an e-mail sent to us that was approved by Bier’s lawyer, Keith Fink, Manson promised Bier “partnership proceeds” from the band in 1993, but then spluged on “a multimillion-dollar home, had a lavish wedding in Ireland, gave an engagement ring to Dita von Teese” and collected Nazi artifacts and taxidermy. When Bier asked for the “partnership proceeds,” Manson “devised a campaign to drive Bier out of the band and rob him of his entitlement,” the e-mail states. “Litigation will begin immediately.” Manson’s manager didn’t return calls.
In case anyone doesn’t know, I used to work for Manson. Here’s what I know for a fact is true:
1. Manson buys a massive amount of very expensive Nazi memorabilia. He showed me a bunch of it, including a trunk full of complete SS and other military uniforms. The rug in his, I guess it would be the “sitting room,” was a Nazi throw rug. The “knick knacks” on the shelves surrounding his TV were all Nazi stuff. His old eBay account - back when eBay still allowed this stuff to be sold - showed purchases of dishes, officer’s hats, even a door knob. He’s obsessed with it, and I saw it personally.
2. He’s obsessed with taxidermy. His - again I don’t know what to call it, the house has a weird layout - drawing room was filled with stuffed crap.
3. The house is a multi-million-dollar home in the Hollywood Hills. It’s not outrageous or anything. The houses get more expensive as you go up the hill, and Manson’s house is a stone’s throw from Kathy Griffin’s. And that was right at the beginning of her “D List” show...what I’m saying is if Kathy can afford the neighborhood, it’s not insanely expensive. A few million at best. I bet it wasn’t the biggest expense that year, even. The Nazi stuff probably tops it.
4. Manson’s manager is a nickel-and-dime scumbag who would cheat his own mother out of a dollar. Manson hardly knows anything about the way he treats people. By now it must be a million times worse, as Manson has allowed this guy to run off every honest person and surrounds Manson with yes-men loyal to Managerman’s agenda.
5. Manson controls the publishing and rarely allows anyone in the band to even get credited. When they do, Manson’s publishing company generally controls the work anyway. Granted, it’s his band, but those guys all wrote material through the years. I highly doubt they were all fairly compensated, and somehow they all end up telling the same story.
6. As for the campaign against Pogo, here’s what I know. Pogo was devoted and loyal to Manson, even after Manson trashed and ran off everyone else. I know Manson’s capable of organizing a campaign against a friend. I helped Manson try to ruin Jeordie White’s (Twiggy, former guitar player) professional reputation. I helped him draft statements and posts for the website running Jeordie into the ground. Not that Twiggy needed anyone’s help to look like an asshole...but Manson turned on him like he turns on everyone eventually. I have no doubt that a campaign against Pogo was organized and carried out. It seems to be, on a much larger scale, exactly what happened to me: I was promised that as webmaster for marilynmanson.com, I was going to get X number of dollars a month. Managerfuck Tony Ciulla managed to get me to agree that half of it would be cash, and half would be memorabilia that I was authorized to sell on ebay for whatever I could get for it, and it would all balance out to X number of dollars.
When that memorabilia never materialized, I started asking for my money. I kept Manson out of it at first, but after a couple of month of not getting more than the 50% in cash, I mentioned it to him. He had no idea I was getting shafted, or so he said. He promised to get one of his assistants to send me some stuff. I got a box of stuff, some of which I sold. He also started autographing empty absinthe bottles, which we sold on eBay. Nowhere near the money I was promised, but it was a start. Then that dried up. I mentioned it again, and I was “allowed” to sell one of John5’s guitars on eBay and keep a portion of the money. Another month goes by. Nothing. I had a few phone calls with Managerfuck, who actually threatened me and told me to never go to Manson with this shit again. More time, no money. I prepared a bill for all back pay owed. It was a lousy four thousand dollars...nothing to them, but three months mortgage to me. The moment I submitted that bill, everything changed. Many of my duties were transferred to this guy that worked for Interscope’s web division; the very same guy I was hired to replace because he was, shall we say, less than great at his job. Manson stopped calling the house six times a day. I couldn’t get anyone at the office to return a call. Then one day it was “We don’t think this is working out.”
Yeah, no shit. They thought I was just a fan who would slave away for free or close to it. I guess Tony and the officefolk didn’t realize I would expect to be treated by management as a professional with a right to get paid for services rendered. Manson’s calling me eleventy times a day to talk about his latest post, an eBay purchase, a lyric...as a fan, those were side benefits to be sure, but the work I did on that website was me selling my services to Tony and the management.
I believe one of my last communications with Manson was to tell him that Tony was a dick. I get the feeling that one day, Manson will be suing Tony the way Trent had to sue John Malm. Tony was Malm’s protege after all.
Anyway, the point of all this is that, based on my personal experiences, everything Pogo is saying has the ring of truth to it.
Posted by JimK at 01:45 PM on August 02, 2007
Permalink | Trackbacks (0) | Email to a friend |
Categories: Entertainment, Celebridiots, Music, Personal
Technorati: Marilyn Manson Pogo Stephen Biers Dita von Teese Twiggy Ramirez Jeordie White