Prev: McPander at it again - Next: Iron Man again - Home

Thu, 01 May 2008 23:38:01

Iron Man the movie

Iron Man is MADE OF WIN.  If you like the idea of a comic book movie, go see it.  If you like Robert Downey Junior, go see it.  If you like Iron Man, go see it.  If you like the idea of Marvel’s new film division and attempts to stay more faithful to their characters, support their effort and GO SEE IT.

If you like kick-ass action flicks, GO. SEE. IT.

Seriously.  It’s really quite good.  any changes that were made make perfect sense, like changing the origin from Vietnam to Afghanistan.  The spirit of the comic’s history is in every frame.  It gives me hope for future Marvel properties.  RDJ is fantastic as Stark.  Paltrow is...meh.  But then she always is.  Who cares about her anyway?  Shellhead is the best Marvel film ever made to date.  GO SEE IT!

Posted by JimK at 11:38 PM on May 01, 2008
Categories: Entertainment
Tags: Iron Man, Movies, Marvel
Technorati:

Comments:

#1  Posted by aretak United States on 05/02 at 01:58 PM -

Yes...saw the midnight showing and it was excellent. Like you said, changed up the origin a bit, but kept true to the book.

Hopefully The Incredible Hulk also comes out just as good.

By they way, did you stay after the final credits rolled. There was a little surprise if you did. Hint: Avengers Initiative.

#2  Posted by Buzzion United States on 05/02 at 02:24 PM -

Downey will be having a cameo in the Hulk movie as Stark.  You think Marvel realize they have a better shot at pulling off a crossover movie if they’re the studio making the movies instead of selling off their ideas to various companies?

Green Lantern#3  Posted by Green Lantern United States on 05/02 at 04:36 PM -

I cant wait to see it myself.  As you can tell from my name sake I love super hero movies.

Jim by the way.. never enough hot chicks…

Also check out this guys blog page, hes trying to change is life a little and I know you can respect that Jim..

WWW.FOOLSFIRE.COM

chrisbg99#4  Posted by chrisbg99 Germany on 05/02 at 06:19 PM -

Yeah The Incredible Hulk looks like it could be real good (though I liked the first one) and it all is a great warm-up for The Dark Knight.

#5  Posted by Noblebrown United States on 05/02 at 08:10 PM -

I dunno about The Incredible Hulk. Edward Norton has essentially disowned the version that the suits cut. I think the director did, too. Hopefully it’s not as bad as they make it out to be, or that there’s at least a director’s cut on DVD.

But I will be seeing Iron Man this weekend. I’m stoked.

#6  Posted by Buzzion United States on 05/02 at 10:38 PM -

Stay til after the credits definitely.  They made the correct choice there.

#7  Posted by Noblebrown United States on 05/03 at 05:26 AM -

Kickass flick! A very competent film all around. I can’t wait for the next one. And as for the end…

“Stark, you are one bad mothafucka.”

JimK#8  Posted by JimK United States on 05/03 at 12:39 PM -

They made the correct choice there.

I have no doubt that he will be a good character and enjoyable as always, but is he really (character’s name redacted)?  Something feels off, and I don’t mean his (obvious difference redacted).  He’s...different, no?

But that;s just me being nervous.  I’m still gunshy off of the way Hollywood assraped Rogue and Jean.  I should be paying more attention to how the new marvel film division could not have made a better choice in Robert Downey Junior.  He’s literally the most perfect choice for Stark that could have been made out of all the actors that have *EVER* lived.

#9  Posted by Buzzion United States on 05/03 at 03:10 PM -

Jim, You’ll want to research the Ultimate Marvel comics.  In fact I do believe that version was based upon that actor.

artmonkey#10  Posted by artmonkey United States on 05/03 at 07:51 PM -

Well, saw Iron Man last night.
First off… Oh HELL yeah.

I’ve heard arguments that Spider-Man 1&2;were slightly better, but I’m just not buying that.

RDJ completely and totally pwnt that role.
And how could he not? In so many ways, RDJ is Tony Stark.
They share the same demons, brilliance and passion for their work. He was, without question, the perfect choice for the role. (Oh Christ.. do you believe we almost had to suffer through Tom-Fucking-Cruise?)

This was the best Marvel film to date, hands down.
I simply cannot find a single thing to gripe about, period.

...except the fact that, because I had tired, whining kids in tow, I did NOT stay past the credits, and so I completely missed that closing teaser scene.

However, being the comic geek that I am, I already knew what to expect, there.
(As well as the closing scene of Incredible Hulk, which will involve General Ross and Tony Stark. “I hear you have a problem, general. I think I may have the solution.”)

For the record, I don’t think (actor name redacted)’s portrayal of (character name redacted) is going to be based on the ultimate universe. (which sucks ass, btw.)

I think they just wanted some star power for the film in which that character will star.
(What, Hasselhoff wasn’t available again?)

In any event, with the individual storyline films each being made now, (Thor, Cap, Ant-Man) and not due to all be out until 2010 at least, I wouldn’t expect an Assembled! film to make it to the screen until at least 2013.
So… you know… don’t hold your breath.

They’ll likely be beat to the screen by the JLA, really.

Ah, but a wait well worth it, no?

artmonkey#11  Posted by artmonkey United States on 05/03 at 07:59 PM -

BTW, if you have not, yet… I urge you to pick up the latest GQ.
There’s an interview with RDJ in there that will give you more insight on the man, and why he was so brilliant in this role.
He was so completely excited about it and dedicated to it, it was almost fan-boyishly geeky.

I love the part where he stopped his session in the faux-skydiving wind tunnel to take some notes on things Stark could do in his flying scenes.

Rann Aridorn#12  Posted by Rann Aridorn United States on 05/03 at 08:28 PM -

Jim, they’re basing it off the Ultimate universe a bit, where they had Nick Fury looking like that actor from the very beginning, with the specific intention of having that actor play him when they made a movie.

#13  Posted by ErikTheRed United States on 05/03 at 10:39 PM -

Totally, 100% off-topic, but I know the crowd at this site will be down with this. I’m in for $50. Who else?

#14  Posted by supercore United States on 05/04 at 06:19 PM -

Saw it friday night and thought it was great. I’ll go right ahead and say it wasn’t as good as Spider Man 2 (the original spidey flick just doesn’t hold up to repeat viewings like pt 2) but the attention to detail and RESPECT for the characters and their motivations was very surprisingly good.

I really hope that Favreau and company’s choice to stay as close to the source material as possible and put up the huge numbers they are will finally convince “the suits” that the original stories, as campy as they are, are way better than anything their hack hollywood writers can “reimagine” These comics, for all their flaws, are our American mythology and should be treated with respect. They are where a lot of us first learned about good and evil, right and wrong, and showed us examples of how we could deal with our demons, both internal and external.

Bring the sophistication and maturity to the screen that the original writers brought to their best books and you’ll have a goldmine (Batman Begins, Spiderman 1 & 2, Iron Man, Sin City, 300 to name a few). Pander to the lowest common denominator and water everything down to what will make for the best cross-promotion and product tie-ins and watch people avoid it like the plague. (The Punisher, Fantastic Four, Ang Lee’s Hulk, Captain America, Catwoman, Batman & Robin as examples)

EMalachi#15  Posted by EMalachi United States on 05/04 at 08:52 PM -

Iron Man kills the Spidey flicks.  I’m sorry, but while I do like Spidey 2 over Spidey 1, I got real tired of Parker revealing himself to everyone.  That tram full of New Yorkers?  Ya, no way in hell they wouldn’t be blabbing his identity to everyone and anyone.  No thank you.

Iron Man and Batman Begins are THE best comic based movies out there.  Sin City was good, 300 had its flawys, but they just can’t top the IM and BB.

I liked Pepper, but I have a thing for red heads, so ya.  ^,^`

I’ve seen Iron Man twice already. I loves it.  Now I just need to wait for Dark Knight.  Have you seen the new trailer, yet?  I’ve seen one crummy quality trailer, but I still come away salivating.  ^.^`

#16  Posted by Buzzion United States on 05/04 at 10:25 PM -

Anyone know much about the Captain America movie?  Is it going to be a reinvention for a modern Captain America, or will he be from ww2 and frozen and found in the modern age?

EMalachi#17  Posted by EMalachi United States on 05/04 at 10:32 PM -

I hope they do an Ultimates telling of him.  Frozen and brought back when he is needed most.

If they go the WW2 route, instead, then they better END with him being frozen in the artic and have a post credit scene of him being revived.  Maybe have him opening his eyes to Director of Shield himself.  ^.^

#18  Posted by ErikTheRed United States on 05/04 at 11:28 PM -

Just went and saw it with the wife. We both liked it, and she generally dislikes comic-book movies. My only beef was that the final battle sequence seemed to be only an afterthought in the story development. It was like they had this brilliant script and at the end were like “Awwwwwwwwwwwwww FUCK! Forgot we need to have him kill a Boss Monster now. T3h formula! T3h formula! Ah, what the shit, just have him [spoiler]. Meh, roll credits. Oh yeah, throw in some [spoiler] just before the reel runs out. But don’t let him say motherfucker. We want to keep this motherfucker PG-13.”

Seriously. Only thing that would have made it better is a cameo of Val Kilmer’s character from Kiss Kiss Bang Bang.

#19  Posted by ErikTheRed United States on 05/04 at 11:49 PM -

Oh, and one other annoyance: If Tony Stark is super-genius gadget man, why in the name of fuck is it that he doesn’t have functional locks on his fucking house? Whole damn movie, everyone’s just letting themselves right on in.

Just saying.

Rann Aridorn#20  Posted by Rann Aridorn United States on 05/05 at 12:34 AM -

Um, because one of those people is someone he trusted and would probably have had access anyway, and was a genius himself besides, and the other was the head of an organization that makes the CIA look like the high school student committee?

#21  Posted by ErikTheRed United States on 05/05 at 01:10 AM -

@Rann

And the person who had recently told him that he had [spoilered] him in the [spoiler] and yet still waltzed right on in? Super-smart house system doesn’t even say “Yo, Stark, buddy, douchebag just walked in, watch your back.” And even if the people in question are super-mega-go-go smart, I mean, Stark’s supposed to be ultimate-win genius guy. I’m picking nits here and everything, but that was a serious eye-roll moment for me. Stark’s got the only house in Malibu with no friggin doorbell or something like that.

#22  Posted by supercore United States on 05/05 at 01:19 AM -

Anyone know much about the Captain America movie?

Well, This is the Captain America movie I was referring to. If you haven’t had a chance to see it, don’t. If you have, like me, I feel sorry for us both.

I don’t even think they’ve cast the new one yet. Any ideas who they’ll pick? I think Aaron Eckhart would be great if he wasn’t already playing Harvey Dent. I’ve heard Mathew Fox but after seeing the previews for Speed Racer he looks ri-godamn-diculous in a mask and tights. Maybe Ben Browder? Cheap to hire but instant street cred with the comic book nerds. And he just kind of looks like a Captain America. What do you guys think?

#23  Posted by Buzzion United States on 05/05 at 03:59 PM -

JimK#24  Posted by JimK United States on 05/05 at 07:07 PM -

Donna and I were discussing this very thing (casting Cap) and Ben Browder never entered my mind.  Now, of course, I see it and he might be the perfect choice.

EMalachi#25  Posted by EMalachi United States on 05/06 at 08:37 AM -

“Marvel Mines More Precious Metal...”

Ugh!  Gag me with a spoon. There was another stupid title like “Hollywood Iron turns to gold” or some lame crap like that.  You’re not witty, just annoying. Bah.

Anyone here read the Ultimates? I haven’t touched season 3 yet, and I haven’t heard good things about it.

John Crichton as Captain America?  Eh. My first choice for Cap would be Aaron Eckhart. I mean, he’s already got the blue eyes and hero chin.

#26  Posted by supercore United States on 05/06 at 11:39 AM -

My first choice for Cap would be Aaron Eckhart.

Like I said, he’d be my first choice too. If he weren’t already playing Harvey Dent. It’s just not gonna happen.

artmonkey#27  Posted by artmonkey United States on 05/06 at 12:34 PM -

I like Bowder. He’s certainly got the “look”.
What he doesn’t have, however, is the
star power needed to carry a film about such an iconic character.
Also, and this is more important than you would first think, he doesn’t have the commanding baritone that I think we all know Cap needs.
Plus… sorry… he just doesn’t have the acting
chops for it.
Keep in mind, it’s a lot tougher to convey emotion from behind a latex cowl than usual.
And Bowder (though, again, I like him. I really do.) has a hard enough time conveying anything deeper than a damp paper towel to start with.

So, you ready for my call on Cap’s casting?
You want someone with the look, the chops and the fanboy appeal… the choice is pretty obvious, IMHO…

Nathan Fillion.

JimK#28  Posted by JimK United States on 05/06 at 02:38 PM -

I like Nathan as a choice as well.  That jaw, the voice, the ability to convey emotion with just the voice.  The only problem is, he’s not quite “chiseled all-American Marine recruitment poster"-looking enough.  Easy enough to ignore if he nails the role though.

I think Ben could act enough for a Cap movie.  I think the chops needed would be right in that zone he’s good at.  Stern looks, slightly cheesy motivational lines, one or two slightly funny one-liners, some gung-ho yelling and maybe one speech about “what it all means.”

This time I put my foot down though.  No Claudia Black.  :)

#29  Posted by ErikTheRed United States on 05/06 at 02:56 PM -

I like Nathan Fillion a lot, but he strikes me more of the rebel outcast type with his “Who? Moi?” faux-innocent looks. Of course, maybe he can set that aside for the roll but I haven’t seen him do it yet.

Besides, if you want real fan service there are three words: Bruce Fucking Campbell.

If Harrison Ford can still play Indy, we can certainly use Bruce.

artmonkey#30  Posted by artmonkey United States on 05/06 at 05:48 PM -

Hey man, I’m all about the Bruce… but maybe like, 15-20 years ago.

Have you seen the guy, lately?

You’d need an industrial drum of lubricant just to get his chubby ass into the red-white-and-blue tights.

Nah, I still say Nathan Fillion, all the way.
He’s already played a WWII soldier, after all…
remember, he had a small part in Saving Private Ryan. (He was the “wrong” private Ryan, from Minnesota.)

And yes, with his chops, he can act his way around not looking 100% like a recruitment poster.
I mean, if that was the most important thing, you could just cast John Cena and be done with it. Nobody looks more the part than him. He just can’t act very well.

Rann Aridorn#31  Posted by Rann Aridorn United States on 05/06 at 05:58 PM -

This time I put my foot down though.  No Claudia Black.  :)

You’re telling me she wouldn’t look fantastic zipped into a black bodysuit with a spider on one side of the chest?

That could stick a needle in me any day, rowr.

#32  Posted by supercore United States on 05/06 at 06:54 PM -

I think she’d look fantastic in any costume. As long as it’s got a mask… Zing!

Seriously though, Fillion would also be a great choice. He’s got the all-American look, great intensity as well as humor, and he’s got the charisma to make that jump to the big time that I think, though I love him, Browder probably couldn’t.

#33  Posted by ErikTheRed United States on 05/07 at 02:32 PM -

Hey man, I’m all about the Bruce… but maybe like, 15-20 years ago.

Have you seen the guy, lately?

CGI, man, CGI!

(Yes, I’m yanking everyone’s chain here).

#34  Posted by supercore United States on 05/07 at 04:59 PM -

CGI, man, CGI!

Well shit, If we’re gonna go that route lets just cast Charleston Heston. Who cares if he’s dead? CGI MAN! How badass would that be? And Yule Brenner as Red Skull. Let’s get crazy.

#35  Posted by Buzzion United States on 05/07 at 05:53 PM -

So Jim have you gotten to play the Iron-man game and is it any good?

Also does anyone remember the classic arcade game The Avengers, and have a clue in hell where I can get an emulator that has it to play?  I once did but it was deleted long ago.

#36  Posted by ErikTheRed United States on 05/07 at 11:36 PM -

And Britney Spears, back when she looked hot!

Wait… I’m not sure the technology is there yet.