Prev: Philips DCP850 Portable DVD with DivX and iPod dock - Next: Lefty bloggers swear more than righty bloggers. No shit? - Home

Fri, 02 Mar 2007 20:24:00

Ann Coulter calls John Edwards a “faggot”

On what planet is this kind of bigoted hate speech acceptable?

Now, I realize she was referencing the Isiah Washington/T.R. Knight/Grey's Anatomy thing, but here's the problem. Isiah was flat-out wrong to say what he said. It wasn't funny. It was just Isaiah Washington being a bigot. Ann is - as usual - compounding the problem. On top of that, since when is Edwards even remotely closeted or gay or even bi-frigging-curious? The accusation makes no sense other than to be a bigoted slur. We call him the Breck Girl because his hair is fabulous and there was a video of him fiddling with it. It has nothing to do with his sexuality. So Coulter is both bigoted and stupid, it seems.

She is a hateful, horrible human being and I couldn't imagine ever respecting her for anything. Every time I see someone compliment her, I lose a little respect for that person. You can be critical without being a hate monger or a bigot, and when you actively celebrate her hateful bigotry, you may as well walk around doing it yourself.

She brings shame to the word "conservative." It shouldn't stand for hate and bigotry. The only thing we as conservatives need to hate is the size of our government and anyone who tries to kill us.
*UPDATE* Dan Riehl sort-of agrees. Also, Ed at Captain's Quarters:
First, criticizing Coulter's use of the word "faggot" is not a suppression of free speech; it is an exercise of free speech. We're not advocating her arrest for using the word. We're just saying it was stupid, unnecessary, and hateful. This is no different than Melissa McEwan calling Christians "Christofascist Godbags" and Amanda Marcotte's incendiary hate speech about Catholics. We howled about that when John Edwards hired them; why do we defend Coulter's appearance at CPAC?
That's the non-hypocrite approach. So of course the majority of people will reject it. :) Gay Patriot has a short roundup of conservative reactions. I'm happy to say they prove my above snark to be wrong. Condemnations all around. Some are condemning it on the purely practical terms of how much damage Ann does to a movement she allegedly supports, others on the use of the slur itself.

Posted by JimK at 08:24 PM on March 02, 2007
Categories: EntertainmentCelebridiotsNewsPoliticsThe Stupidity Of Man
Technorati:

Comments:

#1  Posted by Buzzion United States on 03/02 at 10:22 PM -

Both of which should definitely be opposed with by bearing firearms.

#2  Posted by ErikTheRed United States on 03/03 at 04:41 PM -

It sounded to me like a weak joke that backfired. Even the crowd gave her some pretty half-assed applause for it.

But if you were to argue that Ann Coulter is an aging, spiteful hag whose only redeeming feature at any point in her career is a decent fake rack, I’d have difficulty disagreeing.

Christian#3  Posted by Christian United States on 03/04 at 05:39 AM -

But when have we seen those on the left come down on those that have the same level of hate speech?

Bout the same time I decided to become a radical vegan.

And both are equally possible.

Liberal hypocracy is a good thing. It shows their true natures.

Rann Aridorn#4  Posted by Rann Aridorn United States on 03/04 at 02:22 PM -

Yeah, I’m still waiting for a Democrat to say something bad about Byrd. You should see the Dems… oh, excuse me, “Independents”, because even though you vote Democrat, support Democrats, and hate Republicans, calling yourself an Independent makes you sound free-thinking and individual… flailing to find excuses for him whenever he’s brought up.

#5  Posted by Noblebrown United States on 03/05 at 02:12 AM -

People online all over the place have called Edwards a faggot (and many, many other synonyms) a million times over. Coulter is a rotten, soulless, evil little bonehag, but this is one of a million things to hate her for.

#6  Posted by up4debate Canada on 03/05 at 03:03 AM -

She brings shame to the word “conservative.”

Really?  Not to me.  When I look at her, I dont see the face of a typical conservative.  It would be like looking at someone like Ward Churchill, and figuring he is a typical liberal.  Ann influences my opinion on conservative values about as much as Ward does on liberal values.  Which is to say, not at all!

Even though I think some of it is an act simply to get more press, and more face time with her partner in crime Hannity, I dont see her as conservative.  I simply see her as one of the ugliest human beings Ive ever seen.  Normally, people who I strongly disagree with, I kinda enjoy watching them on tv or reading them.  It helps to hear the other side.  And even someone like O’Reilly can be entertaining.  But Ann just makes my skin crawl so much, I just cant watch.

#7  Posted by Buzzion United States on 03/05 at 08:51 PM -

You know what she said was incredibly stupid.  But I do love how when a conservative says something completely boneheaded the democrats are right there to demonstrate their utter hypocrisy.  I give you Howard Dean

There is no place in political discourse for this kind of hate-filled and bigoted comments

That’s Howard “I hate Republicans and everything they stand for” Dean.

#8  Posted by sindri United States on 03/08 at 02:07 AM -

When did we all become soooo sensitive? First the N word and now the F word? Pretty soon we won’t be able to call anyone anything.

Isn’t a faggot a cigarette anyway?

#9  Posted by Buzzion United States on 03/08 at 02:47 AM -

No, fag is a cigarette in the UK.  And fagit is a bundle of sticks.